Friday, September 08, 2006

PLEEAAASEEE......

Justin Timberlake is totally wrong. Sexy does not need to be brought back. I've been holding sexy down since I was in underoos.
Anywho.
I suppose I must first thank--nay, bless-- all of you for the lovely package that was sent after I left. I expected to find only a dusty Nesbitt, well worn from all the reading and comprehending done to it. But much to my (at that point girlish) delight, I also had a picture of the 2006 TASPers, framed not only in a classy, minimalist frame, but in the collective love and merriment that only a summer of studying *ahem* and living together could provide. Needless to say, my eyes moisted over and I had to excuse myself from the room.
With that being said, life since TASP has been completely disappointing, not because I am incapable of parting with you all, but because everything now seems so normal, disappointing, and mundane. My senior year trip through hell (what some would refer to as a schedule) includes two semesters of PE. Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you: Stupid knows no race. Much like peace and love and caring, stupid is a unique connection, an archetype, if you will, shared amongst all humans. Some choose to tap into that more than others. I usually offset my intense dislike of these people with the knowledge that my interaction with them will pass.
While I deal with stress and general unmerriment, my parents steal away to Scotland, then Paris. The 'rents new favorite word is arrondisement. I don't blame them. I'll name my first child that: Arondissement Montiel. Sounds stately.
To conclude, I was playing Cranium with a few people I did not know when one of them, a loud, obnoxious girl, mentioned, "You know, South Africa has really gone down the tubes since the white people left." This comment was suspect because of a few details, namely: 1) The oppressors were effectively toye-toyed out of South Africa like a Chuck Norris judochop to the face, 2) Her defenses included such logical gems like "When the British were there, there wasnt any GARBAGE on the street!" and "It was actually SAFE to go out on the street!!!!", and 3) As we know from Prof. Vinson, South Africa is actually coming back infrastructurally (my word). In case you didnt catch it, her defenses were largely speculation, hasty generalization, and complete bullshit. I countered with examples of trash in the streets of major American cities, the danger of walking around at night in Compton, the fact that South Africa is hosting a World Cup in 4 years, the fact that the whites in South Africa violently oppressed blacks, that this oppression led to much of the squalor she described and took as a representation of the entire country today, and that her meticulously researched contentions were "mind-bogglingly wrong". Lack of tact? I think so.
I certainly hope you all havent been as frustrated, too, by scenes like this. I also certainly hope that this comes across as cohesive and comprehensible. 'Tis late and I'm seeing 25 or 6 to 4. But, I think I'll go off for a walk. They say midnight jaunts in East LA or Compton can be particularly refreshing....thank God that it's safe to go out on the street.

4 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

RUBEN
I forgot how much i miss your random and sometimes irreverent sense of humor.
Good work, Mr. Bad Seed.
By the way, how's that CBTA app working out for you?

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Hyp. lecteur said...

Scotland and Paris... What taste your parents have in destinations. I approve wholeheartedly (even if the French are responsible for making TEL's life difficult...) May your schedule woes be of short duration.
(By the way, I was under the impression that South Africa still has a substantial population who claim European descent... Where did your lady-friend get such ideas of an exodus?)
Tu me manques.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger hippie said...

Oh, God, Ruben: Words cannot express how I miss you! Snaps for everything, except make the girl your 70-something-year-old cousin who went to MIT, just like his wife and like half of their 8 kids. Yeah. Anyway. Oh, and make the argument about the social construction of race and then have him discretely change the subject to save face. And make him use Tyler's favourite argument (i.e.: "You're wrong!" and it about ends there).

Where do these people COME from?

Oh, wait, you already answered that.

Nice use of Justin Timberlake, peace and love and caring, and archetypes. I have yet to open your mind to Eastern Philosophy. If I find time I'll photocopy (type?? HA! I just hope you can read them) my notes and mail them your way. If I don't (find time), I'll use the Vulcan Mind Meld instead.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger kathryn said...

best post ever. i love reuben. but don't tell him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home