Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Abortion e-cards?

Ummmmmm....

Yeah, so I was watching CNN and came across this story: Exhale (www.4exhale.org), a support group with resources for women who have had an abortion and their families, has launched new abotion e-cards.

A sample:




































E-cards! You hit a button and send this, "You've got mail!" style, like you'd send a goofy St. Patrick's Day greeting. I don't even do e-cards for birthdays-- if a friend made the personal and significant decision to have an abortion and I know she's sitting at home recovering, I can't imagine expressing my empathy through an e-card.

The pro-life organizations are jumping on this as trivializing abortion (maybe I share that view, actually, but in a different way) and encouraging abortion by normalizing it; Exhale defends that it has run a post-abortion hotline for five years now and all its staff are women who have had abortions--so who would know better what these women need?

What do you think?

Much TASPly love,
Tracy

PS I'm seeing Spencer this weekend!!! Of course, I'm excited beyond words. Pictures will be forthcoming.

2 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Breanna said...

It's an unconventional and slightly cheesy way to express care for something so serious, but I think if I ever had an abortion I would appreciate it just the same.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Hyp. lecteur said...

Hmmm... Those e-cards seem to be just a touch materialistic... I always try to defend e-mails and other forms of internet-based communication when Luddites such as my mother suggest that e-mails are all too easily jotted down without any sort of effort or thought and that they destroy the art writing and communicating (after all, I find e-mails practically reactionary after the advent of cellphones and other truly instantaneous communication. If anything, the fact that e-mails are sent immediately and irretrievably makes me think even more carefully about what I'm writing and how I'm communicating than when I'm writing letters.) However, these e-cards do seem slightly too casual to me... Trivializing is always dangerous (Aldous Huxley suggested the extreme to which it might be taken in his Brave New World)...
At any rate, I fear I have not given this issue enough thought to be able to compose even a decent comment... Hmmmmmmmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home