Tuesday, February 20, 2007

on race and then some stuff

The local newspaper is publishing a weekly bit on race in our community. I think all of it's worth the read, but here are some highlights:

5% of enrolled students in the district are black
1 in 640 teachers in the district is black

http://lacrossetribune.com/blackinlacrosse/

Excerpts from my life in the past few weeks:
1. Forensics TROPHY for me. yay. 2nd place in extemporaneous speech at some competition (you keep up on current events, you choose 1 of 3 questions they give you, you get 30 minutes, you give a speech). Plus I get to advance to districts. And if I do well enough, I'll go to state again, which is in Madison.
2. Valentine's Dance. Whoa. So much organizing. It was worth it, though--NHS raised about $500 for senior scholarships. Not too shabby.
3. Choir! We got to sing with the Iowa University choir, which was really good. At our Solo & Ensemble Festival, our madrigal was, according to the judge, "collegiate." One of our songs is a Jewish folk song.
4. The death of my car. Terribly depressing, and I'd rather not tell the story again. Details are on facebook.
5. Advanced Speech is my favorite class...ever. Tomorrow I get to give a presentation on why Focus on the Family sucks. I mean, I get to do a critical analysis discourse on the linguistic engineering involved in the formation of the organization's name.

lastly
KEEP THE BLOG ALIVE

post and you will be rewarded. or at least you will make your fellow TASPers happy.

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger hippie said...

FOCUS ON THE FAMILY SUCKS LIKE WHOA!!!!!!!!!! Bre, I think I should tell you I'm a closet Republican. No, not just that, a Strom Thurmond-, Jerry Falwell-esque Republican. Yes, it's true. Maybe you're right and I will change my Facebook political views, because really, I just couldn't get any more conservative than I am. I totally agree with you.

Damn your non-wall. Grr.

I am still sad about your car :( but I didn't know about the Trophy!!!! Congrats!!!!

yes, I've been neglecting the blog like everyone else. But birthdays brought me back. that's a positive source of inspiration, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home