Sunday, February 04, 2007

My friend tells me that I shouldn't express my support for political candidates so publicly since I hope to run for office one day. Nonetheless, I continue to support Barack Obama, and on Friday, I had the chance to hear him speak again at George Mason University. It was crazy to say the least. There were easily over 500 people there (most of them under the age of 20). I was pleased by the turnout of the crowd and I will be extremely pleased if even half of them vote come Election Day. Cynical, I know, but hey! Prove me wrong.

Some pictures:

On the way to the rally, the sticker stands for “Students for Barack Obama,” which is an organization that an alumni from my school (Tobin) helped start. SFBO is the organization that put on the rally. Barack Obama even personally thanked Tobin, which was cool. I live vicariously through Tobin, so it’s pretty much as if Barack Obama was thanking me (ahahha). Oh and ignore the peace signs,it's a long story...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



There is the man himself speaking, even though it was extremely crowded I managed to push my way to the front of the crowd.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I really like Barack. Although, I am afraid he might have peaked too soon, but once again, I hope people prove me wrong. I would love to be alive when the first “black” man (or even non-white male) wins the presidency (shoot even is nominated); I am skeptical though. What can I say I’ve been conditioned by society. Virginia did elect the first black Governors (Doug Wilder), and I do not think that too many expected that. I just hope Barack can escape the Bradley Effect.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We will see.

In two weekends, I will attend the Jefferson-Jackson dinner (a fancy-schmancy- fundraiser dinner for the VA Democrats). Tickets are a whooping $165 dollars, but I have connections (ahhh), so my ticket was only $50. Guess who the keynote speaker is? BARACK! Yes, I will see Barack AGAIN. I am hoping to get a picture; we will see how that goes though.

That is all for now. I’m off to a super bowl party. Go Colts!

5 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger kathryn said...

I have no idea why the pictures look like that if anyone wants to fix it go right ahead..

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Breanna said...

that is SO cool! I wish I could see him speak. wow kathryn, it seems like you wouldn't vote for him or anything if he gets the democratic nomination...

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger kathryn said...

No I TOTALLY would vote for him

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHH! This new version vs. old version business is bamboozling to me, as well. Anyway, I found this article on the BBC, concerning Thabo Mbeki's State of the Nation address. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6347717.stm It gives much food for thought. The complaints about the breakdown of South Africa's moral values sound rather Alan Paton-esque. However, I do not think we can discount the legacy of apartheid. This summer we had a glimpse of the destructive system that twisted South Africa in its grasp for many decades: surely it will take many, many more decades to undo the damage of the "homelands," the Pass Laws, the townships... Maybe I am biased as someone who loves history; however I feel to understand the current events of any country, we must not ignore the past which created the current situation.
Just because the past explains the present doesn't mean it explains it away, though... South Africa has so much promise: what can be done to counteract the horrors of the past? Does anyone have any ideas?

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P. S. That last post (and this one, for that matter) should indicate that a crazy Brit with a taste for Baudelaire (not to mention coffee and TEL) had something to do with them. I shake the fist at technology.

~Alison

 

Post a Comment

<< Home