Friday, January 05, 2007


Happy 79th, Mr. Mondale


I hope your day wasn't filled with the crushing weight of being the most failed presidential candidate of all time.

---
In other pertinent news, a couple small updates from my life:

1. Last night I went to the Colorado Yale Association Holiday EXTRAVAGANZA. Except, they just called it a "holiday party." Boring. In any event, it was populated by a mix of old men in bowties and ridiculously attractive current students. Plus, all five of the early admits showed up, so I got to meet them. We're an interesting bunch, I think. There's the 6 foot 9 (!!!!) basketball recruit from Colorado Springs, the black, gay boy who goes to military school in Texas (uhh), the rich prep school girl, the absurdly intelligent hipster with a thing for biophysics, and me. Some covertly rude remarks were made by various parties about my school, which I guess is okay because I'm basically the queen of disparaging comments about my school, but it still felt kind of strange. Strange was the operative word of the night, actually. But I'm glad I went because, as it turns out, Yale is pretty cool.

2. One of my documentaries (not the bad one you all have seen, a slightly less bad one) was accepted to a film festival in Durango. I'm excited. Why, you ask? Well, Durango, in addition to being at the ass end of nowhere in southwestern Colorado, is quite close to Telluride. So i'm sensing a field trip to the land of Nunn. There will be photographs, I promise.

3. Word on the street is it's 60 degrees in NYC. There have been two blizzards here in the past two weeks. Damnit, Jordan. I'll trade you.

That's about it from here. I've been pretty much trapped in my house for the majority of break (see update #3), so there's not a lot to report. However, it has given me an inordinate time to reminisce about the past year. It goes without saying I think, but I still can't believe how lucky I am to have gone to TASP and met all of you (warning: corniness ahead). The summer itself was the single best experience I've ever had, but it's more than that. I had a pretty tough junior year, and was generally coming off of three years of feeling pretty undervalued at school. For nineteen strangers to make me feel not only remarkably comfortable, but accepted and valued, it blew me away. I don't want us to lose touch because all of you are remarkable, and I need to see what amazing things you do with your lives. So keep my curiousity in check and drop me an email every now and then. That would be grand :-)

On that note, I bid you farewell. I hope you're all celebrating the end of college apps (or close to the end, if you have any due on the 15th). Now comes the waiting. Ole!

OVER AND OUT.

5 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Breanna said...

aww ryan you're great

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Hyp. lecteur said...

Film festival! Bowties! Telluride! Walter Modale! Ryan's awesomeness! (Excited squeaking noises vaguely resembling "Te!" ensue.)

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger The Barefoot Lawyer said...

Oh, I liked your post. It wasn't corny at all.

Any chance of posting your documentary on YouTube?

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Conor said...

Ryan,

I wore flip-flops today. FLIP-FLOPS.

This is not fun. Global warming is evil. Sure, everyone is all giddy, "Wow great winter huh?" But apparently everyone has forgotten that a) the summer is OH MY GOD SO HOT now and b) that Times article about RECORD ELECTRICITY USE THE WORLD IS GOING TO END?

Whatever. Also, spring flowers bloomed in December. What the hell.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

When you said (well, I guess wrote) "disparaging comments about my school" I thought you meant Yale. And I confused for a bit, but also very happy that even alumni Yalies in bowties had come to that correct conclusion. ;)

But on another note: Ryan, Ryan, come to the land of Southern California where it is warm and sunny!

And snaps to that documentary on YouTube! I would love to see it. What is it about?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home