Friday, May 04, 2007

Following Ryan's admirable lead, I hereby provide an update on life in the sleepy center of Pennsylvania, where the distinctly twitchy squirrels lurking by the psychology building and the inebriated college students who have trouble with the concept of the past tense roam free...
Alas, I haven't done anything quite as exciting as piercing my nose. I probably should, but only when I'm far enough away from the parentals to avoid any unpleasant confrontations... I did get my hair cut, though. I now look like a cross between Martin Luther and Ringo Star.
Arabic class has just ended, much to my despair. I like Arabic, especially when I get to give presentations about the "history of the Middle East," a topic which can all too easily be turned into the "history of T. E. Lawrence." My Arabic teacher this semester was a rather gangly graduate student who had taught English in Egypt for several years before coming to the United States to get his doctorate in linguistics. He was one of those extremely tall, thin men who can manage to trip over the blackboard even though it's attached to the wall. He and his wife (who hates the cold Pennsylvanian weather) recently had their third child, a little girl called "Affection." (His wife called him in the middle of class to tell him to take her to the hospital when she went into labor.)
Other than that, I'm afraid I don't have much news. T. E. Lawrence is still dead. My dog sends you all his fondest greetings. He has a new haircut too, and looks very puppy-ish.
So... How is life for all of you?

4 Comments:

At 1:20 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

aww, alison, i enjoyed the update!

your english teacher (and family!) seems quite the character. *affection?* at least it's not apple. or gingivitis (real name given by parents to some poor poor little child, per a baby name book... i'm guessing that was the do-not example...)

and alison! your quizbowl team! #1 nationally! you're too modest to say it, but i will... i stand in awe. um, can you join our team in san antonio in a couple of weeks? pleeeaase?

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger mz. aida said...

Oh GOD. Gingivitis?! It's not even a PRETTY name!

I can see it now: Uvula Thompson.

Apricot and Apple are actually not that bad.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Alison, what do you think of Gertrude Bell? I was reading an article about her recently and immediately thought of you.

She seems pretty bad ass, and also like she would be a person of almost TEL strangeness to study. The funniest thing I read about her is that she didn't think women should have the vote because as long as they allowed themselves to be confined to the home/child rearing they deserved no place in the political process. I also am entertained by her TEL-like ambigious sexuality (or lack thereof).

Also, if there's one arena of human existence in which seemingly intelligent, normal individuals most often make terrible, terrible choices, it's baby naming. oh god.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Hyp. lecteur said...

Gerturde Bell... What a lady. In fact, there is a very sweet picture of T. E. Lawrence, Getrude Bell,and Winston Churchill on camels in front of the pyramids at Giza. She was also notable for being the first female to receive a first-class degree in modern history at Oxford. (TEL also got a first in modern history).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home