Monday, September 11, 2006

CBTA Applicants and General Whininess

EDIT- Rodney is applying too, so we're back up to 11. oy vey!

EDIT #2- No Mina, so that's ten. Cornell apparently has 12 or 13. No word on Mich or Austin.

The List
Ryan
Breanna
Tracy
Manasi
Spencer
Alison
Max
Gerardo
Cynthia
Mina (?)
Ruben (?) - never mind. he decided not to. how rude, my fellow bad seed, how very rude.
Rodney

Holy crap. that's so.many.people. I love you all to death, but I hope far fewer people from the other four TASPs apply or the competition is going to be ridiculous.


In other news, I got my papers from the profs today (at long last), and I must say, I was rather disappointed. My 3rd paper (the one we did on any topic in the civil rights movement), which is the one I put the most time and effort into, had no real comments on it at all, just "good" written next to a couple paragraphs and things underlined throughout. The other one, my eyesore of a final personal analysis, had three sentences on the last page that basically said, "thanks for being enthusiastic! good luck in the future!" and that was all. i'm curious, what kind of feedback did everyone else get? were the professors in a hurry with everyone's comments, or were my papers just so eye-gouging-ly bad that they wanted to get them done with and out of sight as quickly as possible?

P.S.- I just got back from college-ing on the east coast. i'll post pictures and info tomorrow.

9 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Hyp. lecteur said...

Ryan, my weekend was miserable without you, stuck with my positively hysterical parental units as I rewrote that blasted personal statement. I really wish I could have seen you! Rawr. I'm going to sulk with my copy of Seven Pillars of Wisdom and my pack of Pennsylvanian Walter Mondales. (Well, they're really your pack, but I'm keeping an eye of them 'til you next venture forth to the east coast.) I hope you enjoyed several profitable college visits.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I missed you too! i was so bummed.

alas.

but hey, i bet the profs told you nice things. tell me stuff!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Max said...

My papers had a couple of underlinings, "goods," a "nice to have met you," and a "get on with it already." Not in that order.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

oh, papers. why does mail take so long to get to America's FINEST city?

By the way, Mina decided not to apply, also, so I guess that makes ten, then. Still: ahhhhhh!! It felt SO good to send that thing in, though.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger ruben(!)montiel said...

Ryan, worst news. I think UPS lost my application. You silly...of course I was applying.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Hyp. lecteur said...

At least you got your third essay back... (Mine is as of yet missing in action.) In my last essay the professors didn't really write comments: they just underlined and said things at the end. (T. E. Lawrence got a special underline in green ink: I was happy.)

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Breanna said...

I haven't gotten my papers back yet, but I suspect this is because my address changed from my TASP application (even though I let the professors know...)

WHOA. we have so many people applying. We have practically as many as Cornell, and they had like twice the number of people. whoa is all I can say, whoa and well done. May the Wash U TASP be well represented.

PS I wore my TASP shirt today for the first time since TASP.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Breanna said...

My third essay is also MIA. Very mysterious.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger hippie said...

my 3rd paper regretfully had many passive-voice sections which I had thought I'd carefully edited out, but to no avail! They still sneak up on me. Ryan, I tend to think the less comments the better- my first was ALL comments, and that SUCKED! As I've gone on looking through mine, I find that as their comments get more positive, they're also more negligent, you could say. I didn't mind, after the trauma the first caused me, haha.

My 4th paper just had underlines, too- I mean, it made sense. It wasn't a report, or even a typical paper. They can't evaluate us on self-analysis. My comments at the end mostly focused on things I said in the paper but didn't necessarily talk about in class, so the comments were short but appreciated by moi; I guess they figured it was a nice change from my seminar-induced silence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home