Monday, August 21, 2006

this and that -- one life in sandy eggo

So I've recently discovered pandora.com (many thanks to Time) -- you type in an artist or a song, and they'll create a radio station with other songs/artists with styles like the one that you typed in, based on things like "mallet percussion" or "acoustic guitar." I looove it!

Two days ago at the hospital, we did a room visit to this elderly man, and he started talking about the racial homogeneity of Asia: "I've always wondered [this is directed at me], how do you feel when you come from a place where everyone looks the same, and then come here, where people look different and you can actually tell them apart? There's been no mixing... I mean, what would it be like if some Irish and French just went in there and mixed things up a little? (mixing hand motion)" He went on to say, in all earnestness, that the volunteer we were training looked like a girl because of his "dainty Asian facial features." What exactly do you say to that old man? We kind of looked each other, hid smiles, and left soon after. Race, race, race... it comes up everywhere.

Last night, it really sunk in that I was back in San Diego. We drove to Ocean Beach for a bonfire...Sunset Cliffs looking out over choppy waves, sand, foamy breakers, cold Pacific, clusters of people huddled together as marijuana smoke rose up, impossible parking lots, cute stores, failing at meeting up with people, driving too fast, wet bathing suits and palm trees.

Aaand I'm heading out to La Jolla again in a few minutes. Gotta love this town, gotta love the last week before school starts. :)

Ooh, ooh! And. I've decided I'm going to take hip-hop classes with my friend. Super excited! Although that does come from not making varsity volleyball, which was sad, but had I known that TASP and working at the lab and doing whatever else would equal not making varsity, I wouldn't have changed the past half a year, so... in the bigger scope of things, it's all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home