Saturday, September 30, 2006

Nostalgia Trip

Random things I've been remembering recently:

-being the most awkward person ever, with the biproduct of hilarity. case(s) in point from TASP Day 1- cynthia called me as i was waiting for my bags in st louis and asked me where i was. We then had an extended conversation about our whereabouts, only to realize about ten minutes in that we were less than three feet from each other. priceless. Also on day one, I met Katharine Lauderdale and when she introduced herself as Katharine I said, "oh, but not the brown one." I was, of course, referring to my roommate Kathryn's (and my own) last name. However, for at least ten seconds everyone in the immediate vicinity thought i was a FLAMING RACIST. that was cool.

-how i fell asleep during EVERY MOVIE WE EVER WATCHED EVER except for (god knows why) Burnt By the Sun. Which just completely devoured my soul with its repeated use of allusions about the political undertones 1930s soviet russia and giant, utterly confusing fireballs mired in symbolism that i never quite picked up. uh, yes. not much incentive to stay awake during other films.

-Hootie and the Blowfish. enough said.

-Why was that elevator SO SLOW OMG?

-The roasts. Max: "some hold that my adversarial relationship with professor brown began with my very first words the very first day of seminar, 'well, this wasn't really my first choice.' another school of thought theorizes that it truly began with my next comment, 'actually, it wasn't my second either.'" Rodney whipping out Cynthia's clothing. Gerardo and all his TE Lawrence jokes. and basically everything everyone else said. pretty much the funniest night of my life.

-how it took us like five hours to paint that globe thing. and by the end everyone was just lying on the ground dying of humidity and exhaustion. but it was still our pride and joy.

-A while back I was showing one of my friends TASP pictures and she asked what we did at our toga party. and i was like, well, mostly we played scattergories (things that are black- leonel). I think that really speaks to our sense of fun (except tyler's, but that's another story entirely).

-the traffic cone that lived in my room for five weeks. my favorite thing ever was the time both lynn and tyler came in to talk to me or kathryn about something and stood RIGHT NEXT TO IT but didn't notice it. oh, how i miss that large, orange symbol of my useless TASPly kleptomania (damn, what did i ever do with the name tag i took out of the seminar building?).

-"and that's why, from now on, they will be referred to as "pencils of african ancestry.""

-Nesbitt, aka Race For Sanctions, aka 'hi, i'm a terrible writer. also, i love the passive voice. i will now elaborate on these two themes for TWO HUNDRED PAGES: the book'

-playing soccer in the halls at two in the morning, a certain dent that may or may not have been punched in the wall by the volleyball.

-seething distain for the ArtSci kids (i think it became a major community bonding thing for us, hating them- although for the record i thought that time they left us all their extra food was pretty cool)

-The most awkward conversation of my life FOR SERIOUS. I think you can all probably figure out to what i am referring. If not, I implore you to consider the Tyler/Lynn NO SEX AT TASP crusade. well, this was a precursor.

-meals that lasted forever and eventually degenerated into intense games of the greater than/less than game. In fact, as i write this a couple of the surviving napkin canvasses hang on the wall in front of me (if that doesn't really speak to my personal decorating concept, i don't know what does). According to these-
jim crow < apartheid
walter mondale < aaron burr (this must have been one of spencer's- i don't know that i agree!)
tracy > mao
Fuyuo = ho chi min
doing the reading < not doing the reading (shhh, don't tell the professors)

-swings!

-rabbits!

Guys, you all rock. Please don't lose touch.

(also, feel free to add to this list if you so desire)

love always,
Ryan

4 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

seriously! an l-o-l fo shoooo. haha!

ryan, you're awesome.

yeah, during our homecoming rally, the step team did "let it rain...and wash it out... chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup." and i laughed.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

that looks like for shoo (fly pie?). But really, it was supposed to be a very unTracyesque fo SHO.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Hyp. lecteur said...

Ryan... What can I say? My dog is currently giving me the indignant look of the century as I cackle madly in the keyboard. So many wonderful memories... Reading this post was better even than reading Chapter XXXIII of Seven Pillars of Wisdom!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Leo said...

I always feel like I'm rating someone's blog when I write comments. If I were to do such a thing your's would be like number one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home